Saturday, December 22, 2007

new neighbor

So I saw this Chinese restaurant on Cortelyou road and Rugby Road called New Neighbor. They had a new neighbor special and a brand new cheesy OPEN sign. New furniture. I've been to this take out place before our fair skin brethren started to move in. It was pretty nasty I must say. I remember this Chinese take out place smelled like burnt used oil. The rice was never fresh and the prices were allot cheaper. Fast forward to the new Ditmas park that we have all grown to love *smirk* I decided to go back. I must admit this was very impressive. I mean I've lived in Flatbush going on 20 years. The place didn't smell like cheap oil this time. The rice was actually fresh! I've never seen cheap Chinese food take out places going out of there way to look presentable. I guess all you need are a few lighter skin privilege people to be treated like a human being. The irony of this is that with the higher prices and better service, the majority of the customers were still of the darker persuasion. You gotta love this brand of racism.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"before our fair skin brethen started to move in."
You continue to use that phrase in your articles and call this blog
"This blog is for Non-pretentious people who live in Flatbush”
If the phrase "dark skinned bretheren" showed up at the Ditmas Park Blog or anywhere else there would be hell to pay.
You asked people to come to your blog, well I came, I saw, I'm outta here.

Anonymous said...

wow - you've got some serious problems buddy

Frank Jump said...

First let me welcome you to the blogosphere. Allow me to offer some tips about blogging. Try spell-check. And non-pretentious isn't really a word. Unpretentious is the preferred usage. Hope that wasn't pretentious of me. And by the way, my great-uncle (an Italian) was on the construction team that built the houses in my neighborhood near Glenwood and Farragut. Most of the original residents (this was a White neighborhood until the 1960s) from the 1920's who have stayed in this neighborhood appreciate good neighbors. They don't care what color they are, just as long as they treat them with respect and dignity. Racism is a two-way street brother. Privilege aside.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with all the above posters...."The Real Flatbush" is not the real thing...but a sad thing.

Anonymous said...

Im going to have to agree with Frank Jump. My grandfather (Jewish), also lived in and help build the neighborhood you claim is being invaded by "the fair skin brethen." You should resfresh your knowledge of the history of Brooklyn before you make another not-so-subtle racist post on your Blog. What has made Brooklyn great is its neigborhood diversity. Your lack of respect for other people shows your character sir, and makes you as discpicable as any racist. This blog is garbage.

Anonymous said...

ever heard of freedom of speech? while the caption can be perceived as charging, it is a subjective point of view. perhaps the blog should be called no holds barred. flatbush 'today' is very caribbean. in fact, the questions asked by newbies before even considering moving to the heart of flatbush where these caribbean folks are is: is it safe? when will it be gentrified? listen, all over the borough, the trend is to capitalize on infranstructure and attract higher income people. if one doesn't fit the profile of who can feed $$$ into the plan for a 'greater' hood, you are sidelined and not worthy of respect or occomodation. it's never cool to bash people, i'm for respect for all who live in flatbush, but the truth is, the equality scale is imbalanced, especially when you don't speak english and is poor. what's wrong with sharing an honest notice or experience? we don't have the same experiences. try walking in someone eles' shoes then come back and comment on your findings.